Barn weddings are still ‘up there’ as the most popular venue type of wedding venue in the UK, and we know why!
Not only do they tend to be surrounded by countryside in picturesque settings, but they bring a charm of their own with strong structures consisting of wooden beams, aged brick walls and in some cases, like Lillibrooke Manor’s Great Barn, fascinating original features from their former use as a working farm. Often, they provide exclusive use so your wedding day is private to you and our guests, and the whole estate all yours for the day. If you are looking for charming, beautiful grounds, historic settings and plenty of space, you can’t go wrong with a barn. Barn weddings venues often have wedding licences to marry couples outside in the grounds and perfect barn locations for indoor ceremonies – having a wet weather option is very important! Alternatively, a church ceremony followed by barn reception and celebrations are also still very popular.
- Often adjacent to crop fields; ideal for those intimate couple photos and look picture perfect during golden hour when the first evening light makes its way through the trees.
- They usually provide long picturesque driveways, interesting archways, wooded glades, orchards, vistas, vines and more. They are a photographer’s dream!
- The rustic barns themselves; utilising the weathered red brick walls and original wooden shutters and doorways.
- Pretty wall-enclosed gardens; surrounded with blooming flower beds, perfectly striped lawns and classic benches for those quiet intimate moments between activities throughout the day.
- Many barn wedding venues offer a multitude of areas thanks to them converting the original barns and outhouses on their estate – from a preparation suite, a dedicated ceremony barn, to a large barn for dining, dancing and drinking – right through to stunning overnight accommodation.
- The nature of barn wedding venues and their estates provides a relaxed and changing day for you and your guests. There’s no comparison between moving between different picturesque areas that allows your guests to better mingle and enjoy each other’s company – and that of say a static hotel suite which guests are for the most part.
Finding the Right Barn Wedding Venue
Finding the right barn wedding venue is key to planning your special day. There are many factors to consider, including location, budget and amenities. Couples tend to enquire to up to six different wedding venues and visit three in person for a tour. Most couples use wedding directories when searching, where using the filter for venue type and location will be key as there are literally thousands in the UK. Other options are to google barn wedding venues in the desired location, asking for recommendations from friends and family or from being a guest.
- Location: You’ll want to make sure that your chosen venue is in close proximity to where most of your guests live so they can easily travel there for the ceremony and reception.
- If looking slightly further afield, look for a venue with excellent motorway and rail connections and do check that there is local accommodation available.
- Want your special guests to stay overnight? Does the venue offer onsite-accommodation. Perhaps original buildings, such as a Lillibrooke’s Manor House that has been converted into luxury accommodation for you to book on the night of your wedding.
- Understanding your budget; There can be a lot to consider when choosing your wedding venue and estimating your catering spend. Look for a venue that are up front about the costs and offers the flexibility to design a day that sits perfectly within your vision and gives you various food and drink options to suit your budget.
- Catering may be delivered by external catering companies who work with your shortlisted venues. However, they will also be catering for many other events and may not have a strong link to the venue or the operations and planning team you’ll be liaising with on all the finer detail. Choose a venue with its own dedicated chefs and kitchens to ensure seamless communications and delivery, such as the expert Heritage Venues team who will deliver every aspect from end to end – from the unforgettable menu and dining experience to the friendly and professional customer service provided by the events teams.
- Facilities – barn wedding venues often provide a spacious dance floor, plenty of room in front of a well stocked bar, as well as plenty of space around all your tables in the same area. We’ve all been to weddings where the party ends up in the public bar of a hotel, or where there’s no room between tables, and a tiny dance floor!
- For honest feedback a true reflection of the venue, the staff, the food, drink, and the accommodation, read the venues’ online reviews – if there are a lot of up to date reviews from couples praising every aspect of their wedding day, you can put your faith in what they’d provide for yours.
- If you fall in love with the perfect venue in the perfect location (online at least!), then make sure it’s within your budget before you book a visit! Prices vary by day of the week, and month of the year, so it’s best to have considered this before you book a viewing. Enquire about availability in your chosen month /season / day of the week if this is important to you. Some flexibility will help unless you are booking at least two years in advance.